Colin Bullen, FIA
Behavior Change Actuary
Colin is an actuary by profession having originally qualified in the UK before spending 13 years in South Africa before joining Chicago-based Habits at Work. His passion for behavior change derives from watching with bewilderment as healthcare inflation radically undermined the affordability of healthcare services in across the globe. Colin believes that all worthwhile change can be justified by a business case and has developed frameworks with the Behavioral Research and Applied Technology Laboratory to prove it.
A genuine believer in following the path less traveled, Colin enjoys challenging convention and has enjoyed transitioning into what may be the world’s only behavior change actuary. With partner, Hanlie van Wyk, Colin has created one of the most in-depth studies of available research into how and when humans change behavior and the extent to which there are beneficial outcomes when they do.
Education & Certifications
BA(Hons) Maths with Stats, University of York, UK. Fellow of the Institute of Actuaries (UK)
- Sustainability and HR – webinar in conjunction with Ailuna and Karing Oct 2022 and Nov 2022 – Developing a Sustainable Culture
- European Health Insurance Innovation Conference – November 2022 – How to build exceptional product teams that innovate naturally
- National Wellness Institute International Conference – May 2021 – Moving the Needle, Culturally Sensitive Approaches to Assessment and Behavior Change Programming
- Growth Actuary 2021 Virtual Summit Event – June 2021 – Behaviour and Why It Matters for your Actuarial Career
- Sequoia WellBeyond Event – August 2021 – Optimizing Your Global Wellbeing Strategy
- He is also co-author of a 2019 research paper for the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries entitled “Wearables and the Internet of Things – Considerations for the Life and Health Insurance Industry”