Ken Groh, ABC
Ken Groh has over 32 years of benefits and compensation experience. As a benefits communicator, he works with clients to assess their benefits communication and employee perceptions, using the results to design, set measurable objectives for, and implement communication plans for, annual benefits open enrollment, new hire benefits orientation, ongoing benefits education, new HR and enrollment systems, changes to benefits, wellness and health management incentive plans, retirement benefits/financial well-being, and compensation and incentive programs. Ken applies various communication tools as needed to achieve specific targeted educational goals. These tools include targeted copywriting (goal is eighth-grade reading level), creative graphic design, interactive video production, print coordination, apps, and HR training.
Ken’s experience in working with a diverse mix of clients includes:
- For an aerospace company, communicated healthcare, wellness, and retirement benefits to over 150,000 U.S. employees.
- For a midwestern state, surveyed and conducted focus groups to assess employee awareness and perceptions of health and wellness benefits and using this information to create communication strategies and targeted messaging to introduce and gain support for new benefits to diverse employee groups and individuals (ranging from leadership, managers, scientists and teachers, to custodial and support staff).
- Developed open enrollment and communication plans and materials for clients ranging in size from fewer than 1,000 to more than 30,000 employees. These included school districts, public and private universities, national and local unions, retail chains, hotel chains, construction companies, software designers, medical facilities, financial institutions and credit unions, auto and other manufacturers, pharmaceuticals, logistics/shipping firms, agricultural companies, cooperatives, utilities, cruise lines, law firms, call/service centers, national property management firms, as well as creating and implementing benefit integration communication plans for mergers and acquisitions.
Education and Credentials
Ken earned his communication credentials as an Accredited Business Communicator (ABC) through the International Association of Business Communicators, earning numerous Gold, Silver, and Bronze Quill awards for communication projects in competition with other business communicators worldwide. In addition, Ken earned his CEBS from the International Society of Certified Employee Benefits Specialists (ISCEBS).
Professional memberships include International Association of Business Communicators (IABC) (Chicago Chapter president, 2014-2015), Society of Human Resource Management (SHRM), Worldwide Employee Benefits Network (WEB) (former board member, 2012-2013).
- Effective Frequency (How Often Should You Communicate Benefits), Blog article
- Hiring Employees? Don’t Miss This Opportunity for Benefits Engagement, SHRM posting
- Using Interactive Video in Open Enrollment, SHRM posting
- Using Interactive Video for Benefits Education, SHRM white paper posting
- Why a Communication Plan Is Critical for Open Enrollment, SHRM white paper posting
- Three Benefit Trends Impacting Benefits Communication, Blog article
- 5 Ways to Improve Benefits Communication, Blog article